Sunday, May 10, 2009

15 Years is not enough...

Last week I turned 45 (yikes- where did that time go?) and I started thinking. I realised that if I live to the same age that my dad did, I only have 15 years left.

The thought of only being here for another 15 years with Nicholas, breaks my heart, as he would only be 26 if I die then. Steve would survive, even though I imagine he would be upset, but he would remarry and move on. But a boy needs his mother, just like girls do. Then I realised that if I lived as long as my mum did, it would mean only 19 years.

So, my commitment to myself, is to stop carrying this extra weight and start exercising.

Because I don't want to die early from heart disease, or breast cancer.

Because 15 years is not long enough.

5 comments:

Siobhán said...

That was a very thought provoking post! It made me not run and get a little something to eat with my coffee. It is true, though; I am the same. My mother will be 70 this summer and runs for fun... I was trying to think up excuses as to how I can say that I can't walk with her when she visits, so I can stitch more. Ahem. I'm glad it's nice & sunny out today--it'll get my backside out walking!! Thanks for the much needed push.

Deb said...

I think that we all hit one of those "Ah ha" moments and realize that we're getting older. As we get closer to the age our parents are or where when they passed away, we start to rethink how we treat ourselves. I started walking years ago and I think that it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Jan said...

Bravo for such a brave post to the world of blogging. I think we all go through these fears, knowing that we are aging rapidly and don't always take the best care of ourselves. I hope that whatever you do, it is fruitful and makes you feel that you are doing your best..after all that is all anyone can do!

Felicity said...

My parents both died very young .I have had that same thought about my time on earth quite often. I've started living in day tight compartments but dreaming big. It's wonderful.

Chiloe said...

Yes we start to really think, we come to some conclusions ... Hope you can reach your goals ;-)